Thursday, March 10, 2011

Tsunami be KIDDING me!

Greetings from paradise!

Today, I took a long walk on the north shore of Kaua'i. It wasn't long, not really, maybe about three-quarters of a mile each way, but the sand was thick and deep, more like tiny pebbles than sand, making the walk feel like a trip on a Stair Master. There was a strong wind blowing, and the waves were crashing on shore and on the reefs, rows of crashing blue-green waves, salt-water spray melting into bright blue sky. The shore here is littered with bits of coral reef and skeletal shells, sharp to walk on in some spots, but beautiful nonetheless. And while I have taken walks on the beach all three days of my visit, I haven't yet gone swimming. Which is shocking, being that I'm staying in a house on the beach and I've spent hours walking with my feet in the water and I LOVE to swim in the ocean! Especially when the ocean is clear as crystal and warm to boot! But, truth be told, it's a little scary, all those waves crashing on all those reefs. I'm not used to having to dodge razor-sharp coral while diving under quick and wicked waves.

And now, it looks like I may have to get in a car to avoid those waves.

Not to sound too dramatic, but watching the live pictures from Japan of the tsunami they are now experiencing, and being told by the property manager we should pack up our things while they look for higher ground for all of us, well, it feels kind of dramatic here. So, I have to go pack up my things, just in case. And I promise, if any tsunami makes its way to Hawai'i, I will be fine, though I may be without a shower for a few days. But hopefully, all will be well in Hawai'i. And we should all send our good wishes to the people of Japan.

Aloha!

No comments: