Thursday, October 9, 2008

I sure know how to pick 'em!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, thank you, Van! Your green-tea-lemongrass bath soak is heavenly. I don't know how I found the will to ever climb out of the tub...

But here I am, hair wet and dripping down my back. No matter, I am in a state of blissful calm. I'm listening to some great tunes by a great lady, the one-and-only Anya Singleton. Anya and I were at Emerson together, and I'd lost track of her until this summer (thank you, Facebook). Seems she's been busy as an actor, teacher and singer/songwriter. Anya's CD was released this summer, and my first taste of it was at the release party in late August, which kicked ass! I've listened to it dozens of times since, and it keeps getting better. Check her out:
http://anyasingleton.com/

So, a number of the Vegas sports books have a weekly football contest. Way it works is this: beginning of the season, you buy an entry for the whole season. Then each week, you attempt to pick the winning teams for college and/or NFL games. There are prizes for first and second place, and there's a prize if you pick all the losers. But I like winners. And man, can I pick 'em! Last week, two of my entries were 2nd place winners, and this week, I picked a perfect ticket!!! Not that I actually pick any of them. Alex's partner, Max, is determined to win the contests each week. In order to make this happen, he is entered under a variety of names (including my megnificent moniker, Meg Mary McLynn, mmmmmarvelous), which enables him to pick many combos of teams, which ups his odds of winning greatly. The winning tickets are split 60-40 between Max and the "winner". Some of the contests have a top prize of $3000, some have a top prize of a BMW. Alex is hoping they win 3 BMW's, one for each of the guys in his group. So far, they've got one. Or, 60% of one. And a number of smaller wins. Like mine. Last week's 2nd place winners were worth about $70 each, and this week I hit it for $3000! (Unless someone else out there has a perfect ticket, in which case I'll have to beat him up and steal his ticket and keep all the money, it's mine mine MINE!!) Yes, I'm a winner, a winner all the way.