Tuesday, September 7, 2010

And so, it begins.

The rain, that is. As we wound our way through the Cascade mountains, the sky descended on us and the raindrops fell. By the time we made it to Seattle, we were treated to some sun, but the sky was still collapsing, to the point where there were no mountains to be seen in the distance. That's the hardest part of the Seattle weather for me: the disappearing sky. Sure, I know, there's always sky above me. But the cloud-cover comes to rest so low, it eliminates the whole view. The entire Olympic mountain range, so stunning and RIGHT THERE on a clear day, is hidden behind endless grey, sinking fog. On a clear day, you can see forever (cue Barbra Striesand). Mount Rainier is an overwhelming presence in the southern sky, the snowy Olympics to the west, the Cascades to the east. There is so much depth and texture in the world that I just want to swallow it whole. But when the grey comes, depth disappears. The wide-open sky becomes a low-lying ceiling. The expansive views become monochromatic walls. Even the tops of the buildings are shrouded in grey! There's a claustrophobic feel to this city during the winter months. And I know this. And I am prepared for this.
But it's not supposed to happen NOW!! Labor Day weekend is still summer! But it's been grey drizzle for me. Ugh.
Which is not to say that I'm not happy to be here. On the contrary, I'm giddy! I don't feel like I've actually moved here, that's too much to comprehend. I feel like I'm in a semi-sleep state, just sort of floating along until I fully arrive. In the less-than-2 days that we've been here, I've unpacked a bag or two in our week-long sublet on Capitol Hill. Then Alex and I went to our fabulous soon-to-be-apartment in Belltown (right near the Space Needle, which is Alex's favorite Seattle building, silly man that he is) and met with our new landlords and got the tour of the apartment (nice), the fitness room (perk) and the roof-deck (holy wow, the view). Then back to the Hill, where we were treated to a homemade dinner of Danish Pancake Balls (known in Denmark as "Aebleskiver", which is pronounced without the L or the R sounds) by our temporary downstairs neighbor, Daniel, and his lovely lady, Alison. Yesterday we were served a yummy veggie casserole dinner at the West Seattle home of my BFF Angela and her hubby, David, where they shared some Louis CK with us, and we introduced them to the wonders of Antione Dodson. (YouTube can answer that question for you if you don't know who I'm speaking of). I'll be spending today with my dear friend Caroline, perhaps sitting in the steam room at the day spa, or drinking a hot beverage at one of Seattle's many many many coffee shops. Tonite, maybe some Thai food (it's plentiful in the town), who knows. Like I said, I don't really feel like I'm here. I mean, physically, yeah, I'm here. I can tell by the way my hair looks (whatever moisture lives in the Seattle air, my hair likes it). I can tell by how friendly the cabbie's are. I can tell by all the recycling bins on the streets. Yep, I'm in Seattle alright. But do I actually live here? That I can't say. It's all too new. Sure, I know my way around, I know some good people, I know where to find at least 3 Trader Joe's and 2 Whole Foods and my favorite co-op. I know I don't need to wear makeup or high heels, and I know that sarcasm is entirely misunderstood here, as is verbal directness. I know how to live here; I just don't feel like I do, in fact, live here. Yet. It will help to move into our actual place (Friday!!) and unpack the car (which made the 3000 mile journey with no problem, such a good Buick) and introduce She-ra to her next place of residence (she, too, made it here in excellent condition and seems to be very much at peace with things). But really, it's gonna take some time for this city to feel like The Place Where I Live. It's gonna take some "doing stuff", you know what I mean? Getting some work, getting cast in a show or 4, having places to be and people to see and a schedule, oh how I'm looking forward to having a schedule of sorts. And these things will take time, I know. I feel a little lost, a little out to sea. And that will fade with time, I know. I have to be patient and try to enjoy the journey. Which I have every intention of doing.
I just wish the grey would hold off for awhile. Let me have just a little time before winter sets in, please! SHOW ME THE MOUNTAINS!!

No comments: