Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Vegas Auditions

Let me give you an example of the kind of audition listings I've been seeing since I arrived here 3 weeks ago:
We are currently casting a variety of striking female models to begin in late August in the following categories: Classic Italian beauties, Exotic Pacific Islanders, All-American girls next door, and tranquil tan Mediterraneans. All models applying should have a full bust, be toned, and have fit bodies with elegant lines. Applicants must be able to create a sensual, sexy, and relaxed feel throughout the nightclub while maintaining a professional work ethic.
Notice how this listing doesn't actually say what the job is. Which pretty much means: "Looking for high-class strippers who won't snort too much blow on the job." Awesome.

But finally, I found an audition that I could go to AND keep my clothes on for!! Oh, happy day! The audition was for the Vegas production of "Tony n' Tina's Wedding" at the Rio, now in it's 6th year. Now, I've never seen the show, but Alex took his mom to the Atlantic City production last year and gave me a pretty good idea of what it's all about. Fairly similar to the murder mystery dinner theatre I did for a couple of years in Seattle: mingle with the guests as if you are a guest, eat a dry chicken dinner, get on stage to deliver some cheezy lines, generally be over-the-top and above all things, ENTERTAIN. No deep character research, no gut-wrenching drama, just make sure the people laugh and don't feel like they got ripped off for a hundred dollar plate of pasta. Not really what I want to be doing as an actor these days, but who cares? I got to go to an audition, WOO HOO!! And truthfully, it's kind of a perfect job for my Vegas adventure: walking distance from home, steady gig, lots of free time to keep working on my writing. Frankly, I didn't care if I got the job or not, I just wanted to do something that made me feel like an actor, if only for an hour or two.
I didn't know what to expect from a Vegas audition. The listing said, "2pm open-call audition, 1:30 registration, prepare a brief comic monologue and an upbeat non-pop song." Now, in New York, a 2 pm open-call means arriving by 11am and not being surprised to see a line has already formed. I didn't think I'd have to be THAT early in Vegas; after all, there are as many actors in NYC as there are people in Las Vegas! I arrived at 12:45, and I was the first one there. I went to a bathroom to put on my makeup and kill some time, and when I went back at 1:15, there were 3 people there, 2 men and 1 woman. And all 3 smiled and said, "Hello" when I got in line. In New York, I would have been sized up with withering gazes then turned away from. So I decided to test the waters with the other woman, see if she might be willing to help another actor out. I asked her where she finds auditions in Vegas, as I haven't been having much luck. And we ended up chatting for the next 30 minutes until they opened the doors. She even offered me a ticket to see "Phantom" last night, but I already had plans. By now, another 15 people had shown, and I was in conversation with quite a few. I got audition tips (the main site for listings in town is vegasauditions.com, which I already paid the $40 for, which is how I found yesterday's audition) and learned that most of the women there were dancers who were excited to be able to keep their clothes on for an audition, too! The waiting room was full of conversation, about the business in Vegas, about personal backgrounds, about where to get good pizza in town (I turned them onto Grimaldi's). I've gotta tell you, it was SO NICE to be in an audition situation where I didn't feel like the other women wanted to break my legs! I got spoiled by my years in Seattle, where there was an atmosphere of support, even with the understanding that we were all in competition with each other. New York is simply vicious. So even before I went in for my audition, I was thrilled that I was there. And then, I did my monologue. Which went well. They asked me to stick around and read for Tina. I read the side, was given direction: "Take out the Princess-feel." "Tina's tough." "Okay, she's tough but not angry." I like being directed. I was having fun. Then they asked me to sing "Desperado", which I kind of know, but I made up words. Didn't matter, they just wanted to know I could sing. The director then asked me to step outside with him and said, "You're from New York? Oh, I love New York. Listen, Tina's supposed to be 21, you're on the older side of that"--guess he could tell that I'm 27--"but I think you could play Tina, you could play Donna, you could do any of them. Have you seen the show? I want you to come see it. Yes? Great, I'll have my assistant give you a call this week. Thanks so much for coming in." And then he gave me a big hug. Which might have been a little casting-couch creepy if the man wasn't so very gay.
So...I think they liked me! I guess I'll see if I get a call or not. Regardless, it was one of the nicest auditions I've been to in a long, long time. As I was leaving, everyone asked me how it went and wished me luck. WOW! And as I walked home from the Rio, with all the cars honking and some nasty requests called out to me, I felt truly glad to be in Las Vegas.
And that was before my night out at the Palms....

2 comments:

Scott said...

Yay! Good luck! I'm sending my positive thoughts out to the southwest!

One Gal said...

Oh, Tina! I wish I could be there on October 5, and I can't wait to read all about it:)